CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mason Jar Chandelier

This project is one of my favorites!!! Not only was it THRIFTY . . . but it is UNIQUE and HANDMADE - yes . . . handmade . . . by me!!

I've seen a few DIY Mason Jar Chandeliers on the internet . . . (Google it if you're curious to see variations!) And I really wanted a new light for my new informal dining room. So - I set out figuring out how to design, wire and assemble a light!!!

Here's the low-down from the top down:
*The ceiling plate is a piece off a set of outdoor "lantern" style sconces (I bought the set of 2 sconces for $5 - So I'm calling it a $1.00 plate). I pulled the plate off and am using the lanterns for other things - one for my kids to play with and one to decorate with. We had to (OK my hubby did) drill 4 holes in the rim of the plate where we could attach 4 of the chains - I couldn't make 5 chains & cords fit through the one center hole as originally intended - but I like this better . . . it spaces them out a bit.
*Wire connectors - you know those little colorful things that screw a few wires together - we had plenty for this project at home. Also - whatever other hardware we needed to hang it up we already had lying around in the garage from previous lights.
*White Electrical Cord - purchased at Lowe's for $4.50 - I bought ample and could have cut cost had I known what lengths I really wanted (or needed).
*Chain - also purchased at Lowe's - $7.04 - with the same story as the cord - plenty left over . . . what I like about this chain is that it was already white . . . and the links are a different shape - a bit more decorative!
*Screw in Loops - Purchased at Lowe's - $10.40 for 10 - 2 per jar - one to hang the chain to the lids and one to hang the chains to the ceiling plate.
*Nuts - Purchased at Lowe's - $1.51 - The loops and nuts were in the lighting section - other nuts aren't compatible.
*Jars & Jar Lids - FREE!! (thanks to my friend Jamie who was moving out of state - that part was not at all happy!) I sprayed the lids white (with paint I already had) and drilled a small hole in the center of each to attach the sockets to the loops.
*Sockets - Two of them were pulled out of my lantern sconces and recycled. I purchased the other 3 at Lowe's. $10.83
$1.00
$4.50
$7.04
$10.40
$1.51
$10.83
TOTAL: $35.28

I find it funny that the loops were one of the more pricey supplies for this light!!
I should note that I didn't include the price of the bulbs because I was just calculating the cost of the fixture itself. Finding the right bulbs was STRESSFUL . . . did you know there are some types of lights you can use with a dimmer that don't have to indicate "dimmer!?" I do now!

**I should also note that I called over an electrician friend to make sure I had wired it right and that all the parts and pieces would work without catching my house on fire before I hung it up and turned it on!!**
(fortunately I had . . . and that makes me giddy!)

My grandpa would be so proud!!! He owned "Wasatch Electric" in Utah back in the day!


I wanted to show one with the light on . . . I love how there's like this sun-burst on the ceiling when it's on . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment