CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 14, 2011

Stands for Crocheted Hats

So I've been building up a supply of crocheted hats - I want to have a good selection at the bazaars we'll be at this year - but I was racking my brain about how to display them - they're WAY too cute to just sit on the table!!! So . . . after hours of searching on the internet to no avail - INSPIRATION hit!!! I was going to MAKE some hat stands - CHEAP and EASY!!!

So - I started thrift store hopping - looking for cheap candle stands - it was easy - they were everywhere - and I don't think I spend more than $4 on any of them . . . most were between $.50 and $2.00!! I cleaned a few up - sprayed a few black to match the rest . . .

Then I started racking my brain again! I was going to use all styrofoam balls for the tops - but they get spendy - especially when you can only use ONE 40% coupon at a time!!! I'm not patient enough for that! I needed something that was round on top, cheap, and easy to attach to the candle stands.

How about a TOILET FLOAT!!?!?!?!?!?!? Why not? They're less than a buck a piece, keep their shape and at the same time, you can cut them!!!! PERFECT! They especially worked for these spiral-topped stands - I cut them carefully with a serrated knife - following the ridges around - cutting only a small section at a time so I stayed on line . . . and cupped them right over the spiral top!

I did use some styrofoam balls - sitting them on top of the stand or just cutting out a small section and pushing them down on top of the stand. Other toilet floats just rested inside the stand if it fit just right.

For some - I covered the ball with fabric first, then hot glued it to the stand - adding a decorative trim of ribbon. Others I just covered the ball and part of the stand with fabric and tied ribbon around the base of the ball to secure it.

I think they turned out so cute - I may make some just as decoration!!!!!

And here's a sneak peek at some of the hats I'll have at the bazaars . . . then later at my Etsy shop. SO much cuter than just laying them on the table, right???

No comments:

Post a Comment